Biologists teach that all living things on Earth are related. Is there any solid evidence to back this claim? Join us as we explore the facts! We start with a close look at the origin of whales from land mammals, and then touch on the origins of several other critters, including our own species.
- For an official yet quick overview of the evidence for the evolution of whales from land mammals, see the paper: From Land to Water: the Origin of Whales, Dolphins, and Porpoises
- For a detailed and entertaining overview of whale evolution, read Dr. Hans Thewissen's new book The Walking Whales
- See more embryo photos by Dr. Hans Thewissen (off site)
- See more fossil photographs by Dr. Philip D. Gingerich (off site)
- Stated Clearly articles on whales and evolution
- Animation on natural selection
- Animation on DNA
- Dolphin embryos shown in this animation come from spotted dolphins. Adult is a dusky dolphin.
- Photo of bowhead whale pelvis comes from the Department of Wildlife Management, Barrow, Alaska